A man and woman (possibly J.P. Fraley and his wife Annadeene, who also works as Thomas' assistant) play fiddle and guitar, and two little girls play mountain dulcimer, at the ceremonies celebrating the donation of the Jean Thomas collection to the University of Louisville on May 28, 1968 (strips 1-3). The ceremonies took place in the Jefferson Room of the Administration Building (now Grawemeyer Hall) at the University of Louisville. Title supplied by cataloger.
Jean Thomas, wearing her long black "Narrator" costume, is interviewed by WAVE-TV on the occasion of the donation of her collection to the University of Louisville on May 28, 1968 (strips 1-3). Dr. Wayne S. Yenawine, Director of Libraries, serves as Master of Ceremonies at an event celebrating the donation in the Jefferson Room of the Administration Building (now Grawemeyer Hall) at the University of Louisville.
A view of the Churchill Downs horse racetrack, clubhouse, and surrounding environs, taken from an airplane (one wing of which appears in the image). A caption beneath the image reads, "Early 20's Birdseye view of Churchill Downs - Notice extent of Clubhouse before track turn." Title supplied by cataloger.
Students of the Jefferson School of Law, an evening program which operated in downtown Louisville, Kentucky from 1905-1950 before merging with the University of Louisville School of Law, in courtroom benches at tables, watching what appears to be a mock trial. Title supplied by cataloger.
Herman-Straus & Sons Company storefront window display of shoes and pantyhose, 410-12 W. Market, Louisville, Kentucky. Signs advertise: Chiffon Hose, $1.95; Gloves, Easter, 3.50; Special, Easter Shoes, $3.85. HS&S Co logo embedded in sidewalk. Title supplied by cataloger.
View of Market and 11th Streets in Louisville, Kentucky after the March 27, 1890 tornado. Horse-drawn carriage with "Undertaker" painted on side amidst wreckage. Handwritten on image and below on mounted print: "Mkt & 11th Sts. looking East; Market and Eleventh Streets; R.G. Potter Collection.
Exterior view of Kroger Grocery & Baking Company on corner of 11th Street and Garland Avenue, Louisville, Kentucky. Beneath Kroger logo is Piggly Wiggly logo. There are no window displays or advertisements. Vehicles are parked in lot and along street. Title supplied by cataloger.
Jimmy "Barberwreck" Jones standing on top of flagpole to promote a local baseball player, June 24, 1928; event described by Samuel Thomas in "St. Matthews: The Crossroads of Beargrass" (Beargrass-St. Matthews Historical Society, Inc., 1999). Handwritten on bottom of related mounted print: "Francis Xavier Schuler - St. Matthews Civic Leader and Hudson, Essex Auto Dealer. Located at Shelbyville Rd & Chenoweth Ln. Led 500 St. Matthews rooters to Parkway Field to honor Clarence 'Wiggles' Nach and a St. Matthews boy who played for Louisville Colonels. Colonels led by Bill Meyer (Mgr.) Beat Toledo twice. Managed by Casey Stengel. The flag pole standee was Jimmy Jones who remained aloft 57 hours & 40 min. on a scheduled 75 hr. stand. The year was 1928.
Exterior of The Denunzio Diner in Louisville, Kentucky, a solid brick building with tall windows and lantern-style lights between each set of first floor windows. Address: 2807 Bardstown Road, Louisville, Kentucky. Title supplied by cataloger.